Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Stockings Were Hung by the Chimney With Care

Putting up the tree is always a favourite thing to do.  Little tight on space this year with some new furniture, but we made it fit.

Our tree is filled with ornaments, to too many Christmas balls.  Every year Chris received a special ornament of which all are on our tree.  He has continued that tradition with the kids and each year goes out and picks one up just for them.  I love that that is a tradition he shares with them.

I have lots of my favourites too, the ones most special to me are the ones that my grandmother made.  She for a number of years made intricate beaded stars and bells, and there are only a few remaining.  But they always have a place on my tree. 
Along with pulling out all the other decorations, my favourite to see every year are the stockings.  My stocking in particular holds a special place for me because my Grandma made mine (and my brothers) many moons ago.  In fact, I don't ever remember having another one.




When I was in my early 20s, I made the same type for my parents and surprised them with it.  That was when I fully appreciated the love and time that went into the one I already had.  When Chris and I got married, Mom made him one.  And of course, in true family tradition, both of my children received them for their first Christmas.  It may be years before they truly appreciate them, but I know how special they are.

The house is now (mostly) decorated.  Getting close!!

No comments: