Thursday, December 18, 2008

A moment not to miss



There somewhere is a balance between my two worlds.  That world of trying to be a good mom, and trying to be a good employee.  I love my career, I love my family more.  But sometimes, I have to make choices.  Sometimes I make good ones, sometimes I don't.  Today, I made the right choice.

Braydon's first kindergarten concert was today at 9:30.  Not a very convenient time for working parents.  And for me right now, work is pretty busy.  So much so that I went in on my days off last week, and plan to do the same next week.  So busy that I told Braydon I wouldn't be able to come to the concert.  My Mom though was more than happy to act as back up, and my good friend, neighbour and extra Mom to Braydon was there.  But I wasn't going to be.

Then I realized, if I can leave my family for work on my days off, then I sure can leave my work for my family on my days on.  So I did.  I left work and while I missed the first part of the first song, the smile on Braydon's face through the second song when he saw me made my heart melt.  A moment not to miss.


After their concert (three songs, perfect!), the kids made gingerbread houses.  I was going to leave, but stayed a little longer and so glad I did.  Watching Braydon and my Mom "build" their house together also melted my heart.  And the photo at the end, well one of my all time favs.

I made the right choice.  Don't even know how I could have done anything else.

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

Yep you did make the right choice. Some moments you just don't get a second chance at. Good job mom!

Lisa and DJ said...

That's why I love you! You always seem to put what's really important very first. I'm so proud of you!

Queen Mel said...

What a great mom! Its true some of these concerts and such really make it tough for working mom's. Luckily I have a great work environment that they are the ones saying "go, go, go".....

Great choice.

Hollee said...

Yup - you totally made the right choice Mom :) Glad you didn't miss it :)